First Fruit Ministries
Urban Missionary Program Summary
First Fruit Ministries (FFM) shares the unconditional love of God through food, shelter, and friendship with those experiencing homelessness and poverty in Southeastern North Carolina. Our local homeless community is familiar with First Fruit Ministries through continued outreach and service over the last two decades. The trust in these relationships overcomes the fears that many homeless people have regarding accessing professional services. First Fruit Ministries focuses on supportive housing for women and families and outreach programs such as street meal programs, food pantry service, and a day shelter which provides medical care, emergency services, and housing referrals.
The vision for First Fruit Ministries comes from Isaiah 58:6-7, “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?”
Our commission is to host the Presence of God that He may work through us toward our donors, our clients, and our community. First Fruit Ministries’ Urban Missionary Program is a training opportunity offering Christian believers the chance to serve in urban ministry, be trained by highly qualified and experienced leadership, and grow as sons and daughters of God through whom God’s unconditional love is shared with the most vulnerable people in our community. Missionaries come to live the Scriptures! All ministry flows from relationship. There are three pillars that help define the ministry philosophy at First Fruit Ministries: Sonship, Empowerment, and Communication.
Urban Missionaries are Christian believers who join FFM’s outreach and residential teams, care for others through faith and service, and mature through effectively ministering to those who are homeless or experiencing brokenness. This training opportunity focuses on establishing Urban Missionaries in their identities as sons and daughters of God, through whom God’s unconditional love is shared with the most vulnerable people in our community.
- Urban Missionaries are Christian believers who feel called to serve at First Fruit Ministries for 30 or more hours per week for a year.
- Each Urban Missionary is partnered with a specific staff member or program. They join FFM’s outreach and residential teams to mature through active faith and service.
- Urban Missionaries may participate in all ministry activities. They can also specialize in either an Outreach, Supportive Housing, or Administrative track for deeper exploration of social justice and poverty issues.
- There are fellowship and debriefing events, trainings, along with individual mentorship by Executive Staff and Community Mentors.
- Urban Missionaries generally live on the ministry campus. The fee is $300 per month, which includes meals and groceries, and all housing and utilities costs.
For more information on First Fruit Ministries’ Urban Missionary Program and application
process, please contact Alisa Newber at (910)619-0345 or email@example.com.